Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Day After.

Wow. I can’t believe it is over: The infamous first block. It sort of conquered me rather than the other way around. I won’t let the next one be like that though. Now I know better what to expect. After having a run around the coast a little , I have cleared my head, and I am still unsatisfied with my grades but I am glad that I passed and I did “adequately” per se. I think that is the most I can say without telling you my actual grade. However, let it be known that 33 people failed histology, and more than that failed anatomy, at last check, 42. Mind you, I also know people who I did very well. Pretty incredible, but keep in mind that to pass you must have earned a grade above 75%. This is above the required passing average in the states, which I believe ranges from 60 to 70%, and I assume the figures would be similar for Canadian schools.
It is great here that the second semester students are sort of like big brothers and sisters. I have some great TA’s asking how I did, encouraging me, and cheering me up despite this minor setback. I feel really lucky in that way. They are understanding and cite their stories and others as people who have vastly improved from the first exam. It is one thing getting used to the questioning. It is helpful to study more how the questions are asked. Only in the last hour or so did I look at questions from BRS (Board Review Series) Anatomy books. These texts summarize all the key concepts in an easy and accessible way, as well as including some fantastic clinical application questions. The fact that I found these questions challenging as the exam quickly approached was a hint at the fact that I was unprepared.
We went out in the evening after spending a blissful afternoon stress free. I finally felt like I was living on an island for a moment. We chatted with friends and everyone was breathing a collective sigh of relief. There was a party at the Matthew Dorm, so we all went over there and had some drinks. There was lots of dancing and I did a bit of that, but retired relatively early. As it was I was exhausted the first day back!
Yesterday was quite a dull day. Full of new histology about the blood, anatomy was the embryological development of the lungs – quite a handful. Finally we had a bone lab in the afternoon, followed by evidence based medicine. I unfortunately mixed up my days in regards to when I had a meeting with my Faculty Advisor. I was convinced it was Wednesday, but after checking the scheduele I realized I was completely wrong. It’s crazy how your brain goes a little “awry” shall we say as you study for blocks. I just realized today that I know nothing about what is going on in the world. That is so sad! But, everyone makes time for certain things. For me, I knew I wanted to run, write this blog and talk to family. That takes up a good chunk of my time. If I have too much time left over, I pretty much know I am not studying enough!
What have I learned so far:

1. Caribbean Medical School is difficult and challenging. This is only the beginning of the journey. As my sister once told me, it’s a “marathon”. And she is right. You don’t want to burn out half way. Days feel long here, but in all essence it is a short time in my life, and I am living my dream.
2. For the human fetus to develop normally, it needs to ingest some ofthe amniotic fluid in which it lies and pees in. This helps develop the lungs. An interesting condition called oligohydramnios occurs when there is an accumulation of excess amnion, due to the fetus’ inability to ingest this fluid. This can be caused by a variety of issues. I find so many of these embryonic malformations fascinating. There is a ridiculous amount in our textbook about them. Clinical applications are the bomb.
3. I know all the bones in the hand: Hamate, Capitate, Trapezoid, Trapezium, Scaphoid, Lunate, Pisiform, Triquetum + (Metacarpals and Phalanges). I remembered them on the first try. I am getting so much better at this! Also thanks to the teaching of Dr. P.
4. The Brachial Plexus is the next thing to memorize.
5. The development of an embryo is a ridiculously complicated task. I thought that pictures would help me understand anything. But these pictures of the early embryo and folding seem like scribble to me at times.
6. I have been running almost every day. It is so wonderful to see the ocean. It reminds me of the beauty I am surrounded by.

Enjoy the summer! It is just beginning here, and it is already too hot to handle!
:D

No comments:

Post a Comment